Are you looking for a devotional to help your children learn to apply the truth of God’s Word as they navigate through life?
If so Devotions Off the Map – A 52 Week Devotional Journey by Dandi Mackall might be the perfect choice to add to your library. I recently had the opportunity to preview this book from the publisher B & H Kids. Right from the cover, this book has eye appeal with all of its vibrant colors, which are found throughout the book. Today’s youth have more things flashing and grabbing for their attention than I ever did when I as growing up, which is why I like that this devotional is in full color and has beautiful illustrations. Now when considering a devotional you are hoping for something more than just pretty but something of substance as well. I found the book to strike a nice balance between the two. Danielle writes a great article on 4 questions to ask when considering a devotional for your child.
Each week’s devotion has the following sections:
- THE OVERLOOK: provides a brief description of the devotion’s topic
- THIS IS THE WAY: the key Bible verse along with extra scripture references
- LESSONS FROM THE TANGLED TREEHOUSE: easy to read devotions that support the key verse
- SHADY GROVE PRAYER: simple but effective prayers
- FIELD STUDY: four discussion question to get kids talking about what they have learned about the subject. These are not just yes or no questions.
- WALKING TO BOULDER BRIDGE: application section which includes activities, service projects, crafts or discussion ideas to reinforce the lesson.
Topics cover a broad range from how to handle it when someone gets sick and you don’t know what to do, becoming a Christian, facing the future, loving others, to church is more than just a building. Although the book has 218 pages, it is not too heavy and will fit nicely in a purse or backpack, if you wanted to take it along. The devotions are short but provide real world scenarios and great activities to extend the lessons.
As far back as I can remember God and church has been a part of my life. Although we spent Sunday mornings attending Sunday School and evenings at YPWW and not to mention the other weekly services, I don’t recall ever having my own little devotional book as a youth. However, I wish I did have a devotional like this when I was younger. Although this book is targeted toward youth between 6 –10, I think everyone in the family will benefit from it. It serves as a great discussion starter for how to live out our faith.
- Age Range: 6 – 10 years
- Grade Level: 1 – 5
- Series: Seasons
- Publisher: B&H Kids (May 15, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1433687283
- ISBN-13: 978-1433687280
- Available for purchase at Amazon
What great devotionals have you found to help your children on their personal journey with Jesus?